Chana dal-palak (split bengal gram-spinach)
This chana dal-palak is healthy dish with the goodness of dal and palak. It is also very easy to make. Instead of pressure cooking the chopped spinach along with chana dal, you can also first steam or blanch the spinach and then make its paste or puree…and add it after the masalas are cooked properly.
Spinach – 2 cups (clean and chopped)
Chana dal (split bengal gram) – 1/2 cup
Turmeric – 1/2-1 tsp
Salt – to taste
Garam masala – 1/2-1 tsp
Onion (finely chopped) – 1 tbsp.
Ginger-galic-green chilli (chopped or paste) – 1-2 tsp
Tomato (finley chopped) – 2 tbsp.
Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
Asafetida – 1 pinch
Desi ghee – 1-2 tbsp.
Coriander leaves (chopped) – to garnish
* Soak chana dal (split bengal gram) in water for 1 hour.
* In a pressure cooker, take chana dal, 2 cups water, salt and turmeric. Cook till 4-5 whistles (or till soft).
* In a wok heat up ghee, and add cumin seeds.
* When they start crackling down, add hing (asafoetida) and then ginger-garlic-chilli paste.
* Cook for 1 minute.
* Then add chopped onion.
* Cook till they turn brown.
* Now add tomato.
* After 2 minutes, add chopped spinach and salt.
* Cooked till oil separates (3-5 minutes).
* Now add garam masala and the cooked dal.
* Give it a boil (you can also mash it a bit with a masher) and then turn off the gas.
Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with rice or chapatti 🙂