Falafel is a traditional Egyptian and Middle Eastern food, commonly served in a pita bread pocket, but nowadays with globalization its available at other parts of the world too.
Here I have made the quesadilla not with tortilla but with the normal roti we make at home. If you like, you can go ahead with tortillas. I have tried to make an Indian and a healthy version of it, thus the “roti”.
Ingredients for falafel:
- Chickpea – 1 cup
- Onion (chopped) – 2-3 tsp
- Garlic – 1-2 pc (big)
- Cumin – 1/4-1/2 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Black Pepper Powder – 1 pinch
- Cayenne Pepper – 1 pinch
- Coriander (ground) – 1/4 tsp
- Parsley (chopped) – 1 tbsp
- Flour – 1-2 tbsp
- Oil – for frying
- Cardamon – little bit (optional)
Ingredients for quesadilla:
- Tortilla (here I am taking roti) – 4 pc
- Mozarella Cheese – 2-4 tbsp
- Oil/ghee/butter – 1-2 tsp
- Bell pepper and carrot (sliced and sauteed) – as per liking
- Tomato Ketchup – as per liking
Method for making falafel:
- Soak chickpeas overnight in sufficient water.
- Next day drain all the water and wash chickpeas 2-3 times.
- Now in a mixer/grinder take all the ingredients mentioned in the ingredients’ list except salt and flour.
- Make a coarse paste. Don’t make a fine one.
- Now take it out in a big bowl and mix salt and flour.
- In the meanwhile take oil in a kadhai and let it turn medium hot.
- Make balls out of the paste. The flour should be sufficient to make the balls but shouldn’t be so much, else the balls will turn out hard.
- Fry the balls till golden brown.
Method for quesadilla:
- On a sandwich grill, layer a roti/tortilla with butter at the outer side. (I have made a rectangular shaped roti to fit into my sandwich grill).
- Now sprinkle mozzarella cheese and spread little ketchup on it.
- Now spread few falafel over it.
- Layer with bell pepper,carrot mozzarella cheese and ketchup.
- Now put another roti/tortilla on the top with butter on the outer side.
- Grill it.
- Serve hot 🙂