My mom makes superb khichdi. When I was in hostel the default welcome dish for me at home was khichdi and baigan bharta as it was my favourite. Ater getting married I was really sad to know that my hubby HATES khichdi. Anyway, one saturday I made khichdi (I don’t remember how and why my hubby agreed to eat khichdi) trying the max I can to imitate the taste of mom’s khichdi. Somehow I managed and hubby loved it. And from then on he demands to make khichdi every saturday. Ok to confess, I do little cheating with the process. It tastes better and looks beautiful when you first make khichdi and make the vegetable masala separately and then mix both (I be lazy here). And also it tastes heavenly when you add good amount of ghee (I do calorie cutting and be miser with adding ghee). But if you are ok with both the things, I STRONGLY recommend you to follow both the tips. So lets move on!
* Rice – 1/2 bowl
* Red lentil/masoor dal – 1 bowl
* Cauliflower florets – 2 bowls (large, if pressure cooked; and small, if not pressure cooked)
* Onion – 1 small (chopped)
* Tomato – 1 small (chopped)
* Ginger-garlic paste – 1 tsp
* Peas – 2-3 tbsp
* Garam masala – 1/2 tsp
* Cumin seeds – 1/4 tsp
* Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
* Salt – to taste
* Black pepper powder+ cumin powder – 1/2 tsp
* Spinach – 1 bowl (I add it just to increase the health quotient, totally optional)
* Green chilli – 1 (slit/cut into pieces)
* Ghee – 2-5 tbsp (the more the tastier)
* Heat up ghee in a kadhai/wok and add cumin seeds and green chilli.
* When cumin seeds start to crackle, add ginger-garlic paste.
* When the raw smell of ginger-garlic fades, add onion.
* When onion turns light brown, add cauliflower.
* Add peas when the cauliflower turns tender.
* Add turmeric powder, cumin seed-black pepper powder and salt.
* After 1-2 minute(s), add tomatoes.
* Now add spinach (optional).
* Now you need to check how you are making it. If you are going to add the veggies with the raw rice and dal in the cooker, it is the time to stop cooking further. If you are making the other way, cooking the khichdi and the veggies separately, you need to cook it till it is done. Since I am making the lazy way, I will stop cooking the veggies now.
* Wash dal and rice. Now in a cooker, take the veggies, rice, dal, 6 bowls of water, ghee, garam masala, little turmeric and salt. Close the lid and cook till one whistle. And it is done.
* If you are making the latter way, make khichdi with rice ,dal, 6 bowls of water, ghee, little turmeric and salt. Cook till one whistle. When the pressure releases, put the khichdi in the veggie kadhai. Switch on the stove and cook for 2 minutes and add garam masala. And then it is done.
Serve hot with bharta/papad/pickle/raita etc .