Idli is no more confined to only south Indian households but has very much entered into the households of different regions across India. It’s one of my favorites too 😛
So let’s jump to the recipe…
* Urad Dal – ¾ cup
* Idli Rice – 4 cups
* Methi Seeds/Fenugreek Seeds – ¼ tsp
* Poha/Flattened Rice – 1 tbsp
* Salt – 1 /4 tsp
* Soak rice, urad dal, fenugreek seeds in water separately for overnight.
* Next day, grind them finely (don’t mix all the ingredients together while grinding). Soak poha for 5-10 mins and make its paste too. For the sake of convenience, you can grind rice & fenugreek together, and urad dal & poha together.
* Take a big bowl and mix all the pastes together, add salt. Mix well with the help of you hand (have heard that the touch of the palm helps in fermenting the batter better 😉 ). Cover and keep aside for 10 hours.
* Make idlis after the mixture is fermented.
Note: Don’t add water to the mixture. While grinding also, add the minimum amount of water required to make a fine paste.